Thursday, January 26, 2017

2-1: Depression

Hello Internet!

It is no secret that depression is the plague of our modern day society. In 2015, it was estimated that 16.1 million adults have had at least one major depression episode in the past year. That is 6.7 percent of the adult population in the United States. It also is the most debilitating mental illness, causing many Americans to be unable to live a normal life. There are four types of major, or clinical, depression: persistent depressive disorder, postpartum depression, psychotic, depression, seasonal affective disorder. These all have different symptoms and treatments. Today, I will write about two: persistent depressive disorder, and postpartum depression.

Persistent Depressive Disorder

Persistent depressive disorder, formerly known as dysthymia, is a type of long-term depression, but the symptoms are not as severe as major depression. For someone to be diagnosed with PDD, they need to have had symptoms for two years. The cause for PDD is unknown but it can be consanguineous and is more common in women than men. People with PDD can sometimes struggle with other forms of major depression sometimes in their lives.

Some of the symptoms of PDD include (as listed on the website www.medlineplus.gov): Feelings of hopelessness, too little or too much sleep, low energy or fatigue, low self-esteem, poor appetite or overeating, and poor concentration. Although some people who have PDD have most or all of these symptoms, it is more common to suffer from only one or two. Many people who have PDD also only have mild symptoms so it can be a hard illness to recognize.

I have experienced symptoms of persistent depressive disorder for the past several years and it can be really hard to deal with. I’m told that I have this “disease,” this “illness” but a lot of the time, I don’t feel sick. It can be hard to want to be treated when I don’t feel like there is anything wrong with me. It is hard to take medicine with terrible side effects when a) it feels like I don’t need them, and b) the side effects are worse than the depression.

I have been on and off of meds for years now and I have found that I have the best results in treating my “illness” when I make an effort to be around uplifting people, when I find time to take care of myself, when I eat good, whole foods, and when I spend time outdoors.I have been using the term illness lightly because in a sense, I feel like so many people have this “illness” that it is the new normal. It is how we deal with our own version of what’s normal and healthy that leads to happiness.

Postpartum Depression

Postpartum Depression is a mood disorder that occurs after a woman has given birth. It is normal to have mild “baby blues,” but women with postpartum depression have more serious symptoms. Postpartum depression is caused by multiple factors. After giving birth, hormone levels in a women’s body drop rapidly, leading to mood swings.
Some of the symptoms of postpartum depression (as listed on the website www.nimh.nih.gov) include feeling sad, hopeless, empty or overwhelmed, crying more than usual for no apparent reason, worrying or feeling anxious, feeling moody, irritable, or restless, eating too little or too much, or even having trouble bonding or forming an emotional attachment with her baby. Postpartum depression is a serious problem and all women should be aware of what the symptoms are so that they can seek help before it becomes too serious.
It is important to treat postpartum depression early because it is treatable. On www.medlineplus.govit says: “The treatment for depression after birth often includes medicine, talk therapy, or both.” It also talks about how important it is to not keep your feelings to yourself. Talking to other mothers or joining a support group has proven to be very helpful in treating postpartum depression. I have never known someone with severe postpartum depression, but researching this topic has made me more aware of what to look out for in myself, and in my friends and family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment